Staying Safe This 4th of July
Did you know the 4th of July is one of the deadliest US holidays? It comes in just under Memorial Day, but ranks higher than Christmas and New Years Eve. Why is that? It’s simple. More people tend to be reckless when it comes to celebrating summer holidays. From drinking to accidentally electrocuting yourself in the pool, summer holidays can be the most dangerous without proper precautions. Here are three tips to enjoy your 4th of July BBQ without taking a trip to the hospital.
Don’t Keep Your Electrical Devices Near Your Pool or Water
This may sound like a no-brainer, however, as we become more attached to our phones, this rule becomes more of a blurred line. While your phone falling into the pool alone is not dangerous enough to shock you, a phone charging on an extension cord sure can. Having a charging phone near a pool or open water source is extremely dangerous. While it may feel convenient, it is a fatal accident waiting to happen. Be safe and leave your phone in a dry spot while it’s charging.
Don’t Shoot off Fireworks Close to Powerlines
We get it, everyone loves fireworks. While they can be fun, they can cause lasting problems to you and your neighbors. Fireworks can cause the most damage, not just because of the sound, but also because of the heat and velocity at which they’re shot off. If a firework hits a powerline, it’s lights out for you and your neighbors until the power company can replace the molten wires. The US Fire Administration estimates that there are over 9,300 firework related injuries per year. Fireworks of all sizes can burn up to 2,000 degrees! If you plan on shooting off any fireworks this holiday, make sure to do it in a wide, open area away from power lines and other things that may easily catch fire.
Make Sure You Have GFI Outlets Installed Outside.
GFI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. In short, it’s simply meant to protect you and your family from electrical shock, fire, or fatal electrocution. Having these installed outside your house can be a lifesaver when it comes to water contact. If a GFI outlet comes in contact with water, a switch will trip and shut down all electrical power to the outlet. As a primary safety precaution, having these installed outside can be one of the best decisions you can make, especially if you have small children that tend to spill their drinks.
Make sure your outdoor areas are ready for the summer and give us a call!